Gather All Your Ingredients Before You Get Started
1 whole chicken (about 2.5lb - 3lb) or chicken parts its up to you
* I prefer legs its much easier and less time consuming to clean.
6 tablespoons of Jamaican curry powder
* Get a good coating on it
* You can opt not to add the potatoes till the end, I find it sucks up allot of the gravy.
1.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
* Make sure you have enough oil to shallow cook, no need to submerge your meat because you are not deep frying you are browning the meat
2 cups water
* You will need this to help stew it down later
* I like allot so it depends on your taste and size of meal you intend to make.
3 stalks scallion
5 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic
* Minced garlic is good to use also
2 hot peppers (ideally scotch bonnet)
* Optional, this is very hot so use it sparingly or just use allot of black pepper to minimize the heat.
2 teaspoons salt
* Jamaican Brand or season salt
2 teaspoons pepper
* Use according to how hot you want it
Cleaning Your Meats
Wash your meat(s) in lime, lemon juice or Vinegar to kill any germs or potential meat bacterias.
Chopping Your Chicken
Chop your chicken up into small pieces, bones and all. The Bones in any meal while stewing gives it more of a deep seasoned taste.
Cut up some potatoes to add to the meal, I find if you add the potatoes later it wont suck up the chicken's gravy so much before serving.
Season and let sit
Chop the onion, scallion, pepper and garlic in to small pieces. Rub all of the ingredients (apart from the potatoes and water) in to the chicken and allow to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours or you can let it sit for 12 to 48 hours for maximum flavor.
Shallow Fry Your Chicken
Always remember to shallow fry and not submerge your chicken you are not making fried chicken. Fry the chicken until the chicken brown and sealed (5-10 minutes). Try to remove all the access seasoning, ie onions scallions while frying and reincorporate them back to the chicken once you being the stewing process. You don't want to burn them while frying.
Stewing Down Your Chicken
Add the potatoes (still optional) and water to the pan. This is why you do not use allot of oil. If there is too much oil in the pan after frying just take some out. You will need the oil and base to your stewing process. Cover and allow to simmer until the sauce has a thick consistency (about 1 - 2 hrs)